Saturday, May 7, 2011

Playing Catch Up...

Hey guys, long time no see...

Well, a lot has happened over the past few weeks, but I guess blogging took a back seat to all the action.  First off, I had a great 27th birthday, even though I am now officially out of my mid-20s and into my late-20s (ouch!).  The Cannon's threw a joint birthday party for Lauren and me (her birthday was just a couple days before mine).  We ate really good food, laughed so much my face hurt, and rode out the tornado warning together.  I was so glad I was with my family away from family.... Below are a few pictures from the event. 

Our "Sweet Grease" cake from Mrs. Marietta.  Yumm!!!



Macy, Mallory, and I after devouring our cake :)


Lauren and Ryan all smiles :)


Opening gifts.  They say you're a true Asburian when you have a tray to take to covered dish socials at church.  I guess now I'm legit.


Lauren's turn for gifts


Mallory, Bridget, and Lauren watching the storm from inside.
 Easter was also such a blessing this year, although I would have loved to have shared the day with my family also.  The youth group at Asbury hosts the Easter egg hunt for the little kids each year, so we spent a lot of time, stuffing eggs with candy, hinding them around the church, and eating cupcakes and other goodies afterward.  Here a a couple of pictures I took before my camera died during the easter egg hunt.

Some of the kids and parents before the big hunt.


cupcakes, brownies, and Cheetos.  Snacks of champions!
 Easter Sunday was absolutely gorgeous and was a wonderful day of praise for the Lord's fulfilled promise of resurrection.  Steven got up at 4:45 to go help cook because the men were providing breakfast after the Sunrise Service at 6:25.  The service was excellent and the food delicious!  Later we came home and got ready for church, followed by lunch at Ginger's and dinner at Sherry's.  We are truly spoiled by great people (not to mention awesome food!). 

Lauren, Susan, and I Easter moring outside of church
 Last month, was also a good month because it included spring break, which I needed desperately!  It gave me time to do some work around the house, relax, and grade research papers (ughh!).   It was a great week and couldn't have come at a better time! 

Then, last week a tragedy struck when the tornadoes touched down and destroyed much of my home state.  I cannot tell you how sick with worry and grief I was in for days.  I thank God every day that my family's lives were spared.  Tornadoes hit within a mile of my parent's home and right down the road from my sister's in Tuscaloosa.  I have spent hours on the phone with my mom and dad talking about this devestating event that has changed the lives of so many.  I have also been taught so much about the gift of giving throughout this event from my parents.  They have been such a witness to me, and I will never forget all the sacrifices that they have made in order to help others with food, money, and labor.  I am ever humbled by those who are willing to give up their own time and belongings to others in order to show the love of Christ.  God bless all of those affected by the terrible storms!

On a lighter note, another event that completely captivated me over the past two weeks and has received a lot of my attention is THE ROYAL WEDDING!!!  I know my mom is laughing right now as she reads this because I have always imagined myself as a princess.  I used to have a poster of Prince William on my wall, and dreamed of the day that I would be his bride.  But alas, Steven got to me first, so I had to turn old Wills down (haha).  No but for real, I have been obsessed.  I think that I must have watched every special on the couple that was aired the week before.  By Friday morning, I couldn't wait to see the spectacle, even if I did have to wake up at 4:30!  It was everything that I thought it would be and more!  Kate was absolutely gorgeous, William was so handsome as the future King of England, and Harry was as "cheeky" as ever (did you notice my British twist there...I feel like I'm practically part of the family!).  Here are a few of my favorite pics from the day!




Random list of other highlights from this month:
- American Idol (Steven and I are completely obsessed!)
- Water For Elephants (I love movie date nights--especially when it involves RPatz)
- Almost finished with our downstairs bath renovation (pics to come)
- Application accepted and interview requested for grad school at ECU
- Finished The Help and cannot wait to see the movie!
- Cam Newton is coming to North Carolina.  What What?!?  So excited!  Go Panthers!
- Mom and Dad got a boat and I'm sick with jealousy!  I want to go out on it soon!

Whew...I'm almost out of breath from this crazy long post.  I hope you all have a great week! 

xoxo,
Ashley

1 comment:

  1. You're so right, I was laughing as I read this to Mike. It got me so tickled, I nearly wet all over myself. So thankful that you had a good March and April Hopefully you will have a good summer, can't wait to see ya'll again in July.
    Love you & Steven so much!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete