Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Baby Meadows

First off, Steven and I feel so happy and blessed to be expecting a child.  We have been praying for our family, both present and future, since before we were married.  When Steven used to ask me after we got married how I imagined my life in the years to come, it always involved (lots of) kids. 

Many people have asked me about how I told Steven the news, so here's the story...

The Saturday before Easter, I woke up early and made a run to Wal-Mart to pick up candy and supplies for the Easter Egg hunt taking place the following week.  The youth always sponsors the event for the little kids, so we had scheduled the Saturday before to fill the eggs with candy and go out to eat.  Backstory: For about three weeks prior, I had been feling terrible.  I had absolutely no energy and my appetite was sparatic at best.  I decided it wouldn't hurt to buy a pregnancy test while I was there, just for safe measure.  After I got home, I quickly, and absent-mindedly took the test before going downstairs and packing up the car with all of the Easter stuff we needed for the afternoon.  Steven had just finished mowing the grass and was taking a shower.  After a little while, I remembered the test.  I guess it didn't seem that important to me because I didn't think that it would actually say yes.  Oh but it did...



proof positive
 We literally had 12 minutes before we had to be at the church, but I couldn't wait until later that afternoon to tell Steven.  As he was drying off I said, "Babe, I really need to tell you something, but I know it's not the most oppertune time." Steven replied in his okay-just-hurry voice, "Well, what is it?  We're late."  I quickly handed him the test, and he said, "Are you serious right now?  Is this for real?"  Then he smiled really big and said, "I could kill you for doing this five minutes before we leave, Ashley McCulloch (he always tends to use my maiden name whenever I do or say anything rash, I lose something, or I mess something up with my car  haha).  Although we were really happy we didn't have much time for a celebration because we literally jumped in the car and headed toward the church. 

We spent that afternoon hanging out with 15-20 teenagers, but my mind was all over the place.  Later, we went to mine and Lauren's birthday party, which I previously blogged about, but didn't say anything to anyone.  That night I took another test, which again showed up positive, so we called our parents and siblings.  We were and are so excited to be expecting!  I will definitley keep you all updated on the progress. 

After keeping the news hush-hush for over a month, we decided that we would announce the news after our first sonogram, which was last Friday afternoon.  Steven met me at the Women's Center and together we watched our little baby's heart pounding on the monitor.  Talk about surreal!  It was incredible and as soon as we stepped out of the office, we started making calls. 



Baby Meadows :)
 The docotor predicted that I am about 10 weeks along and my due date is set for December 16th.  What a wonderful Christmas present to have my little baby there with the whole family for such a special holiday!

How I feel:
- extremely tired all the time (p.s.  I had no idea this was a symptom of pregnancy!)
- nauseous for most of the morning and sometimes into the evening
- in love with my OBGYN, Dr. Joyner.  Steven thinks that I have an unhealthy crush, but I am just so happy to have such a wonderful man to lead me through pregnancy and hopefully deliver my baby!
- happy beyond measure to be carrying our little baby!

How Steven feels:
- extremely tired from picking up extra chores around the house :)
- hungry because sometimes even the smell of cooking makes me sick.  We have been eating A LOT of    cereal in the Meadows' household
- jealous of the attention I have been giving to Dr. Joyner
- happy to be a future daddy!

Upcoming Events:
- Steven will be finished with the downstairs bathroom renovation tomorrow afternoon if all goes well.
- Taylor and Patches are coming to visit us this weekend!!!
- Beach time this Saturday
- Only 6 more instructional days (after that we have 2 weeks of exams)
- I find out this week if I got in to grad school at ECU (say a prayer please)

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on everything Mrs. Meadows! You are such a sweet person and I am very happy for you and your family. I wish you, your husband, and your baby the best! But baby meadows will be fine, he/she has a great mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO EXCITED!! BETSY TOLD ME THE WONDERFUL NEWS!! Parenthood is the BEST!! Can't wait to go along the journey with you in blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww~ Ashley~ keep posting updates on Baby Meadows. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete