Monday, May 23, 2011

Taylor and Patches in NC!

So randomly is how we tend to do things as McCullochs.  That's just the way we are...

Disclaimer: I forgot my camera all weekend, so no pics.  Sorry :(

Tuesday afternoon, Patches facebooked me and asked when would be a good time for her and Taylor to come and stay for the weekend.  They weren't able to come when the rest of the family came earlier in the year, so they wanted to make a trip while they were both out of school for the summer.  I told her that we were usually pretty flexible and she said that she was off the following weekend.  After talking it over with Patches, Taylor called me and said they were going to come down this weekend.  I was truly thrilled, but a little overwhelmed because the downstairs bathroom renovation was still incomplete (i.e. toilet in the kitchen, no paint on the walls kind of incomplete).  Well, Steven was excited too so we put it into over drive and he finished the renovation late Thursday night.  Secretly, I was really happy to have a reason to get this reno over with and fast!

Taylor and Patches arrived Friday morning while me and Steven were at work.  They had driven through the night, so they slept most of the day and afternoon.  That night, we went to eat at Famous, which is our absolute favorite go-to restaurant.  I mean, you can't go wrong.  Everyone always loves it, and I think they were happy campers as well, especially since they mentioned going back the next day!  We had a great time talking, laughing and catching up.  It felt like FOREVER since I had been able to spend such good quality time with them. 

The next day, I made breakfast and we packed sandwiches before heading to Atlantic Beach with Brandon and Emily.  Emily's grandparents have a place there, so it was great just to park and walk straight out to the beach.  It was a beautiful day! The girls mostly tanned and relaxed while the boys threw the football and played catch with the baseball.  That afternoon, we went back to Emily's place, took showers, and made our way to Beaufort to shop and eat dinner.  Beaufort has such a beautiful waterfront and a great atmosphere.  We mostly widow shopped then ate at a little place right on the water, which turned out to be really good.  Afterward, we went to the General Store and got an ice cream cone, while we waited on Josh Gaines to get there (he was stationed at Fort Lejune, but actually flew out to Califonia the next day for a five week stay).  Once he arrived, we all sat out under a gazebo on the water and talked for over an hour.  It was great to see him and I know Taylor was happy to have a little reunion with his old buddy and college roommate. They told us hilarious stories of pranks they pulled and people they grew up with.  I haven't laughed that much in a while!

Sunday morning, we went to church.  I was excited to introduce Taylor and Patches to all of our friends and "family" in our little community.  After we left, they just kept saying how genuinely nice everyone was which is why we love Asbury too! I cooked lunch at home, and we spent most of the afternoon relaxing around the house before going to Morgan's in downtown New Bern for dinner.  Afterward, we come home and played Rook until almost 2:00 in the morning.  I am a bad teacher...irresponsible even, but it was so worth it because it was a lot of fun! 

We said goodnight and goodbye to Taylor and Patches that evening/morning, which was really sad.  We had such a great time, but I wish we had a little more with them.  I am so looking forward to our family beach trip to Hilton Head in July where we will be reunited!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you would say, we McCulloch's, do things at random. I'm really a Dyar but I would have to agree that just hanging around all you McCulloch's and using the name for some 29 yrs. that is contagious. Watch out Steven, Chris, Michael, & Patches, it will rub off on you too. Can't wait for our reunion vacation. Love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete