Sunday, August 29, 2010

My First Week at WCHS

I have had a great experience, so far, at WCHS. The teachers came back to school on the 19th, so we had four days to get everything ready for the students who returned on the 25th (Wednesday). I met so many nice people, who have been so warm and helpful to me. I feel so blessed to be able to work with so many friendly people.

Okay, so I admit it...I thought transitioning to another states course of study and teaching a different grade wouldn't be too much for me to handle. I arrogantly thought, "Oh, I've been doing this for three and a half years. I can figure all of this out in no time." Couln't have been more wrong. EVERYTHING is different from Alabama. The books they teach are different, the Writing Assessment test is different, and their expectations are very different. I spent the better part of last week at the school trying to figure out my curriculum and make a 90 day plan to turn in to administration. Now that it is almost completed, I feel much better about what I'm doing and SOOOO much more prepared.

I finally met my students on Wednesday, and I have to say, I am very pleased with everyone in my class. I mean, of course there are always going to be a few "Chatty Cathys", but all in all, they were very well behaved. I am looking forward to getting to know them much better over the coming months.

Steven and I went to our first WCHS Eagle football game with Emily and Brandon. We had a lot of fun hanging out and talking with them and all of my new teacher friends, but we got killed by New Bern High. New Bern High is a bigger school and in a different conference, but the rivalry is still bitter (much like my alma mater, LCHS vs. Hatton game). I felt bad for the boys and coaches because they really wanted to beat New Bern...there's always next year.

Overall, great week at WCHS! I'm excited about the rest of the semester!

2 comments:

  1. I love your blogs, I can hear your voice reading it to me, like you're talking on the phone, telling me this story. 'Chatty Cathy's'you know how to deal with them because I think Ashley may have been a Chatty Cathy by high school, you were making up for 1st-3rd grade not talking. I'm glad that you're enjoying the new job and I hope your students realize what a great teacher they have!

    ReplyDelete