Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I'm so happy they're here!

Mom and Dad finally made it here at 1:00 Monday night. They took about a four hour detour through western NC before realizing they were headed in the wrong direction. Anyway, they are here and we have already had a great time.

Yesterday morning, I made gravy, biscuits, bacon, and eggs for breakfast. After we finished eating, we decided to go to the beach. BUT FIRST...I had to stop by the realtor's office because Steven and I made an offer on a house! Who knows if we will get it because we super low-balled it, but anyway we have officially started the process. I had to sign some paperwork in New Bern, then we headed off the Atlantic beach.

Since we only had a few hours, I took them to Fort Macon where there is public beach access. We were completely lazy (after two weddings in one summer, these folks are tired). We talked, read, ate chicken salad sandwiches, and caught some rays for a few hours. Mom wanted to leave early to tour the fort, so we packed up a little early and made our way to it. She has been reading these books from Civil War time, so she has become very interested in that historical period. The fort was amazing. Steven and I had already toured it once, but I got to see a lot of things that I hadn't noticed before. We couldn't believe just how much manual labor went in to building a structure that is so sound.

Last night was truly special. Mom and Dad attended the weekly Bible study that is held at Bryan and Bridget's house, and I believe we were all blessed by it. Bryan is an amazing man of God, and he has a way of delivering his thoughts that is so captivating. Afterward, we all ate a ton of Mexican food Bridget had cooked. She invited everyone to stay, so that Mom and Dad could meet all of our fellow church members. It was a lot of fun. We followed up on this time of fellowship by making a quick run to Johnny's (little country store in Cove City) for some of the best ice cream I've ever tasted. And bonus: he only charges 50 cents a scoop. It was DELICIOUS!

What a great day 1 with Mom and Dad. Can't wait for day 2 to begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment