Monday, July 5, 2010

July 4th Weekend

This extended weekend has been jam packed with things to do, which is such a blessing because I honestly don't have a lot to do while I am off for the summer. On Thursday night, Bridget planned a surprise birthday party for Bryan's (her husband) 50th birthday. He thought that we were going over to her friend Sherry's for dinner, but when we pulled up he saw all the people, balloons, and tables set up for his special day. Sherry's husband, Billy, is a big-time fisherman and loves to cook. Everything was delicious, and the weather was perfect for an outdoor party (here's hoping yours will be the same, Bets!).

Steven was off on Friday, so that morning we ran a few errands in town then went over to Ginger and Patrick's pool for a while. Bryan's actual birthday was on Friday, so we all went out to eat at Texas Roadhouse in Greenville for dinner.

On Saturday night, Steven and I went on a date. We decided to try a place called Annabelle's in New Bern. It was super delicious, and I was excited to sit and talk to Steven for a while on our own. After dinner, we decided to head over to Pier Point on the river in downtown New Bern because there was a Beach Band playing. We showed up too late to see a lot of the concert, but it was a lot of fun watching people dance, and the weather again was awesome. I was wearing jeans, and had to put on a light jacket. It was such a needed break from the sweltering heat we have had so far!

Yesterday was awesome! After church, Steven and I ate lunch then helped Bryan and Bridget set up for the big bar-b-que they were hosting and the massive fireworks show Bryan had put together. Apparently, Bryan has always been really interested in fireworks, and even joined a fireworks club a few year ago, so the 4th of July is his time to shine. While Steven was out in the hay field helping set up the explosives, I was helping all the ladies arrange tables and chairs for the big event. Over 100 people ate dinner at the Ipock's, and let me tell you, it was delicious! A few of the men marinated and grilled chickens, and the ladies brought over tons of sides. I made my momma's banana pudding that my daddy would say "makes yo tongue slap yo teeth out." After dinner, everyone got ready for the firworks show, and man was it amazing. It was by far the best firworks show I had ever seen. I mean, I've been to Point Mallard and some other big shows, but his were incredible, and we were close to them so the experience seemed even greater. After the show, everyone helped clean up and then sat out on the back deack and talked for a while. I had a great time and can only thank God for blessing Steven and I with such great people to live with. This holiday could have felt very lonely by ourselves in a new place, but I never once felt alone :)

God bless our country, troops, gulf coast, leaders, friends, and family!

No comments:

Post a Comment