Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Betsy & Michael's Wedding

Last Monday, I left for home bright and early in the morning because it takes 12 hours to make the drive. The whole way home I couldn't stop thinking about all the things that needed to be done before Saturday, and frankly I started to panic a little. I have this strong, uncontrollable desire for everything to be perfect, especially on a wedding day. While driving, the Lord gave me a word, which says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God" (Phillipians4:6). Thoughout the rest of the week, this became my mantra, and honestly, it worked. Although there were times when we were rushing around and running errands, my heart was always at ease. For me, that's saying something. The wedding was beautiful and Betsy was a gorgeous bride. If you're interested, here are a few details about my week at home.

Tuesday through Thursday, Betsy and I shopped for items on the list of must-haves for the reception, and for a few items not on the list (sometimes you just need a new dress). We had a great time hanging out and driving around, although I now know more about Decatur and Florence, Alabama than I ever cared to know. On Thursday night, Steven's plane landed in Huntsville at around 11:00, so Whitney and Chris drove with me to the airport to pick him up. I feel as though it is my job to thoroughly embarrass him as much as possible, so I found a piece of neon pink cardboard paper and made a welcome home sign. The funny thing was there were only like 15 people at the airport waiting to pick up passengers, but when Steven walked out of the tunnel, Whitney, Chris, and I were waiting poster in hand. I started yelling, "Woohoo, you're home!" while the people around me stared with embarrassment (including Whit, Chris, and maybe even Steven). I say, let's live a little, people.

On Friday, Taylor, Chris, Steven, and Uncle Gary went to the church and loaded up all the chairs and tables. They delivered them to the Ceremony sight then picked up ferns and helped with all the manual labor that goes along with weddings (in 100 degree weather, no less). They were some of the unsung heroes of this event; however, there are many more, and I will get to them later on in this blog. While the boys were sweating off their breakfast, the girls met at Sweet Basil Cafe for the bridesmaids' luncheon thrown by Aunt Sherry, Kasey, and Liz. Everything was beautiful and delicious. Aunt Sherry made these little caramel pie shooters that would knock your socks off, and she bought a trinket cake, which is always a lot of fun. It was great to see all of the bridesmaids who are now scattered off to all sorts of places. Sallie flew in from Jacksonville, Florida; Lauren flew in from Washington, D.C.; Phylicia drove down from Durham, North Carolina; Whitney drove up from Tuscaloosa; and Shannon came up from Auburn (but she is moving to Austrailia in 1 week). We had a great time catching up with each other, passing little Sally around, and laughing about old times. Afterward, we checked the girls into the hotel and went home to get ready for the rehearsal.

The bridal party met at Riverside Cottage for the ceremony rehearsal Friday afternoon at 5:00. Although we all said things like, "Oh, it's gonna be fine. It's really not all that hot in the shade," the sweat on people's brows told a different story. After ceremony practice, we loaded up the cars and headed to the Marriot for dinner. It was wonderful. Michael and Betsy are sort of a foodies, so they had been very excited about all the awesome dishes the venue had prepared. We had shrimp and grits, salad, fruit, chicken, roast beef, sauteed veggies, rosemary potatoes, zucchini casserole, warm rolls, and the best sweet tea I've ever had. It had a hint of cinnamon and tasted like Christmas in a cup. After dinner, we watched the slide show and visited with all of our family and old Auburn friends who made the trip for Betsy and Michael's big day. Later that night after we all got back to the hotel, the bridesmaids threw a little surprise goodie party for Betsy. We had a great time just laughing and catching up, well, until the tablecloths. Oh those tablecloths...what a thorn in my side. If I never iron another huge tablecloth it will be too soon. I'm pretty sure my shoulders are still aching. I know what you're thinking, "It's just a few tablecloths. Stop complaining," but those things take forever. Needless to say we were up until around 2:00 ironing, but overall we had a fantastic time.

On wedding day, my Aunt Sherry and Liz got up and went to the cottage bright and early to get everything set up. They worked throughout the morning and into the afternoon making sure every single thing was absolutely perfect. My cousin Terry did all of the flower arrangements, which were all stunning to say the least. All of the work they did made Betsy's day both beautiful and very special for her and our family. While they were working the boys were running errands and doing lots of manual labor at the site. It meant so much to me that Chris and Steven (newcomers to the McCulloch arena) were so willing to help with anything that needed to get done. Taylor has always been an all-star, and I owe him so much. Meanwhile back at the hotel, Stephanie came over and fixed all of our hair. She did an awesome job and is always fun to hang out with. Marie Mann Hughes, Whitney and Betsy's photographer and one of my closest friends from college, joined us to take lots of pictures. (She is so awesome, and if you need a photographer I will be glad to give you her number. She does some of the best, most artistic work I've ever seen. On top of that, she is one of the greatest and most calming people to have with you at a wedding. She makes every girl feel beautiful and makes every guy feel like a stud). After all of our hair and makeup was done, we headed to the Cottage for pictures.
Let me just tell you, the location of Betsy's wedding was gorgeous! The Riverside Cottage is located on a bluff overlooking the Tennesee River. The back yard is longer than a football field and perfect for an outdoor wedding. There was enough room for a huge outdoor tent which the band played under and the food was served from thoughout the reception. The ceremony was gorgeous, and the reception was a blast. The food was amazing and beautifully displayed, and the band was this awesome motown band from Nashville. We danced the night away even though it was like 100 degrees under the tent. I didn't even notice because I was having so much fun!

When Betsy and Michael left and everything was cleaned up, Steven and I headed home. It was hard to say goodbye to everyone because we probably won't be able to come back down again until Thanksgiving, but I know that Steven and I belong in NC for at least a few years. God has given us such a peace about our lives since moving here, although I know we are going to miss our families so much.

Congratulations Betsy and Michael Osborn on your marriage! I love you!

2 comments: