Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Big Earl

So, they tell me there's a hurricane a brewin' in the Atlantic...

I, Ashley McCulloch Meadows, am a total storm person. Since I have never been through anything majorly damaging or terrifying, I have had no reason thus far to be scared of storms. In all actuality, I have a lot of fond weather related memories...

When I was a little girl, I remember Mom and Dad packing us up in the van and taking us over to the MacPhees to ride out tornado warnings. I was always so excited to go because the MacPhees had a full basement in their house, which was full of toys, rollerblades, and games. We would spend hours down there, waiting until all the adults felt like the tornado had passed.

There were other times when there would be thunder and lightning so bad that it would knock the power out. All four of us kids would sleep in a huge pallet in the living room floor. We would gather up all the blankets in the house and throw them together for the ultimate "air mattress." I remember sitting up talking and laughing with Betsy, Whitney, and Taylor for hours, or until Dad yelled for us to go to sleep.

In college, I vividly remember Hurricane Ivan because me, Taylor, Steven, Austin, and Patrick hunkered down at their duplex and had a great hurricane party. When the power was on, we played Mario Cart and cooked dinner. Later when the power went out, we put together puzzles, played cards, and told stories. We laughed so much that weekend! Thankfully, all Auburn got out of Ivan was a lot of wind and rain.

Also, I have been in a couple of snow storms, which are my absolute favorite! We have had snow the past three years in Auburn, and each one has made for a lot of fun (and mandatory days out of school :). One year, all of our friends met over at Halal Court to wait out the storm. Michael brought over his Nintendo 64, and needless to say, we had a great time. One year, we woke up on a Sunday morning to a blanket of snow covering everything. Steven and I drove his Jeep to First Baptist and worshipped the Lord while the snow continued to fall. After the service, we went over to his parents' house and made snow men with Conner and Katie. So much fun!

So, here's hoping that this hurricane goes on by and leaves no damage in its path. Maybe it will just be another fun weather experience to add to the list!

xoxo,
Ashley

1 comment: