Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Our Engagement Story

Since today is the eve of the four-year anniversary of our engagement, I decided to get the whole story down on paper (uhh...cyber paper, I guess).  If your interested, take a look!

Steven asked me to be his wife on Saturday, January 24, 2009.  It was a magical night in so many ways, mostly because it was so unexpected.  Steven and I had talked about marriage, of course, but it was always seemed to be lingering somewhere far away from reality.  I had already graduated from college and was in the middle of my second year at OHS, but Steven was still in school working on his Master's degree.  I assumed that if he didn't ask me at Christmas, then we would wait until he finished school the following May. I am glad I was wrong!

Our trip to Madison that weekend seemed like any other.  Steven's family usually takes a trip down there once a month, so nothing seemed strange or out of the ordinary about going on this particular weekend.  On Saturday morning, the boys went hunting and stayed out a little longer than usual doing some "work" on the farm.  I assumed they were just clearing roads, running the dogs, or working on one of the dove fields.  Later that night, Steven and I went to town to pick up some pizza for the family.  While we were waiting, Steven said, "Hey, do you want to go out to the farm later tonight with Conner and Katie?"  I answered, "It's pretty cold outside, but okay."

While we were all sitting around eating, I noticed that Steven barely touched his food. He said that he was still full from lunch, so I didn't think anything about it. As soon as I took my last bite, he said, "You ready?"  Before we left, I went upstairs to change clothes because it was cold outside and I wanted to stay as warm as possible (Back story: Earlier that afternoon, Katie got dressed up, which we don't usually do at the farm, so I followed suit. She later told me she did this on purpose because she knew I would want to look nice in pictures.  Well, that all went out the window when I changed into my Lawrence County hoody sweatshirt, jeans, and New Balances to go out for a ride on the farm).  Since Conner and Katie were coming out to the farm with us, I hadn't the least bit of a clue what was about to happen...

Right as we were all walking out the door, Conner acted like he felt a little sick.  He said for us to go on and they would follow us out to the farm in a little bit.  Again, since Conner is prone to stomach issues, I thought nothing of the situation.  When Steven and I arrived at the farm, we got on the golf cart and started driving around.  I told him that I would like to go down to the lane because it my absolute favorite spot on the farm (the lane is full of massive Live Oaks that line both sides and Spanish moss hangs off of each branch into the middle.  It is literally like something you would see on a postcard).  Steven agreed, but I noticed he seemed a little distant.  After we passed through the lane, I began to notice his mood change even more.  He didn't talk or even respond in some cases during our conversation, so I told him I was cold and wanted to go back to the house.  As we turned the corner to go back to the gate, I saw one of the old tobacco barns in the distance; the doors were closed, but light was shining through all the cracks in the sides. Steven stopped the golf cart right outside and opened the door to the most beautiful thing I had ever seen... 

Inside the barn, Steven (with the help of his brother and dad) had hung over 2,000 twinkle lights and anybody who knows me well knows that I am obsessed with twinkle lights.  He had also hung white sheets along the inside of the barn with rose petals that led to a table at the back.  On the table sat a dozen roses and a ring box.  It was like a dream!

After Steven opened the barn doors,  he took my hand and led me down the petaled pathway to the table, got down on one knee, and asked me to be his wife.  It was the most magical night of my life, and is something I will never forget.  Every girl deserves at least one fairy tale experience in her life, and this one will always top the cake for me.  

This is a picture Steven took from the table during the afternoon of our engagement day. 


Katie and Conner were there to take pictures.  They were also responsible for turning on all the lights and getting everything started. 


right after he asked me!
 
My fairytale!


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad Steven did this for you and planned it this way. A fairy tale, I agree! And you were Cinderella!

    ReplyDelete