Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Summer Reading List

Although I love a good easy read during the summer time, this year I plan on reading some of the books that I, as an English teacher, should have already read by now.  Right now, I am stuggling through reading Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy.  I am on page 306 of 896, and it's finally starting to get interesting.

Next up, I plan to read As I Lay Dying by Faulkner.  In college, I took a class completely devoted to studying the books written by William Faulkner.  However, I was super busy with a huge classload, method labs, and work that semester and may have Spark Noted a few of the novels...There, I admitted it.  That's bad, isn't it?

After getting through Faulkner, I plan to read Truman Capote's In Cold Blood.  I refused to see the movie when it came out a couple of years ago because I wanted to read the book first.  However, it has been sitting neglected on my nightstand along with a couple of other books for some time now.  Hopefully, it will be moved to my shelf at at school by August. 

The Poisonwood Bible is a book that was recommended to me by Mrs. Toni Adams.  It was on the 12th grade summer reading list at WCHS in North Carolina, and I plan on finally reading it this summer.  I have heard that it is REALLY good!

The last book that I plan on reading is definitely NOT on the top 100 books list.  It is a true summer read, but I am still excited about it.  I have owned The Host by Stefanie Meyer (of Twighlight fame) for three or four years now.  Now that the film is set to come out in a few weeks, I may be finally ready to give it a shot. 

As far as devotionals go, I just finished the 7 Experiement by Jen Hatmaker, which I enjoyed.  Right now, I am reading A Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George.  So far, it has been both convicting and encouraging, and I really like it.  I also hope to finally read A Heart Like His, which is a devotional book by Beth Moore.  My mom gave it to me years ago, but I haven't went through it yet.  It is a close look at the life of David, and I can't wait to get started reading it!

Whew!  I have a lot of reading to do this summer!  I will let you know what I think when I finish!

1 comment:

  1. Well, Theo & I may have to take turns keeping Sawyer because you're going to be reading all summer. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete