Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas fun

This weekend was one of the most busy, but fun weekends I have ever had. For me, the words busy and fun don't usually go together, but this weekend was definitely an exception.

Friday nght, Steven and I were invited over to Bryan and Bridget's for Christmas dinner. Linda, Bridget's friend and assistant, made us homemade lasagna, bread, and dessert. Everything was delicious. Mr. Ray even came over and joined us, so it was a real treat. Afterward, we all sat in the living room around the fire, talked, and unwrapped our Christmas gifts. Bridget and Bryan got me the most fabulous scarf; it was made in London. (Bryan's mother was born and raised in London, so it was really special to me). It was such a peaceful evening spent with a couple that has taken us in as their own. I hope they know how much they mean to us!

Saturday, we woke up bright and early and went to the church for our last Christmas play practice before Sunday's performance. It's always fun to get together with our church, even if it is early on a Saturday morning. Afterward, Steven and I went to Bojangles for breakfast and ran some errands in town. After returning home, the rest of the afternoon, for me, was spent baking and making goody bags for our church members and co-workers, while Steven FINISHED the t.v. built-in for our living room. For those of you who are curious, below are the before and after shots of my man's work. I think it looks fantastic!
Before: Miami-Viceish mirrored shelf

During: After Steven took all the mirrors off (It was actually a lot of work!).

During: Painting the new shelf

Finished: The new and MUCH improved tv built-in!

And here is a picture of my work...This year, I did a few different versions of goody bags, but the one I am most proud of is called "Snowman Soup." On the tag, I wrote a little poem I found which says,

"When the weather outside is frightful,
Snowman Soup can be delightful.
May it warm your spirit and your soul,
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

When you feel a chill or 'brrrr'
Use the peppermint stick to stir.
Add hot water and sip it slow,
Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!"

The ingredients of "snowman soup" are as follows: hot cocoa mix, marshmallows, peppermint sticks, and I added some homemade cookies and candies for extra fun.

Later Saturday night, Steven and I went over to a work Christmas party hosted by the Yosts. We all brought something (I brought cheesey ranch potatoes) and ate a big dinner. Afterward, we played dirty Santa, which was pretty entertaining, especially when someone opened up a framed picture of Tom Scott, given by Tom Scott. It was pretty hysterical. Later, we played team Imagineiff before calling it a night. It was really cold outside, so it was nice to come home, curl up, and watch a Christmas movie in our warm house.

On Sunday, we were blessed by hearing a wonderful message from a special guest speaker at church. Afterward, we came home, ate lunch, and I continued making goodies for my students. At 4:30 we were back up at the church preparing for the Christmas program. We had to dress like villagers, which I found pretty amusing. The program went well, and all the children looked so cute! The best part was all the food and fellowship after the service. While we were there, Donna invited us to come with her family to see all the Christmas lights around town. We had a blast. We piled about 10 people in a mini-van and made our way around town. We even made a few unplanned stops, which turned out to be hysterical.

Only today and tomorrow remain until Christmas break!!! It cannot get here fast enough!

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, my son-in-law is quite talented with tools & apaint brush! I love the TV area, but of course I liked the mirrored shelves but I'm from the Miami Vice era! Love you! See you both in a few days!

    ReplyDelete