Monday, June 21, 2010

One down, one to go!

I had a wonderful time at home for Whitney and Chris's wedding. I left for Moulton on Monday and arrived that night in time to go out to eat for Dad's birthday. Dad, Mom, Taylor, Patches, and I went to Olive Garden and had a wonderful time, although we really missed the twins, Michael, Chris, and (for me, especially) Steven. The next day, Mom and I went to Florence and got a pedicure, picked up some things at the grocery store, and she got her hair cut and colored. On Wednesday, I left fot Tuscaloosa to help Whitney with some things before everyone arrived on Thursday. Chris fed us a great dinner that night, and later we watched It's Complicated while putting together wedding programs.

The next day, the calvary arrived and we went out to dinner. Later, we checked into our hotel and went to Whitney's to cook cookies for the cookie table at her wedding. She had sort of put me in charge of that table, so I wanted everything to be absolutely perfect. When we made it back to the hotel, the family hung out in our room talking and telling stories until midnight. It was a really fun time, but I missed my husband!


The next morning, all the girls woke up bright and early to make more cookies. When we arrived at Whit's, we realized that the worst thing that could possibly happen on a hot summer day when you have to be inside cooking had actually happened--the air conditioning had completely frozen up and was blowing hot air. Although it was miserable, we cooked all the cookies we could before the bridesmaids' luncheon and decided to come back and finish up afterwards. The Bridesmaids' luncheon was absolutely gorgeous and the food was delicious. The lady that threw the luncheon had ordered a trinket cake for us, so we each grabbed a string and pulled out a special trinket with different meanings. I got a rocking chair, which signified a long, contented life (which I sort of love). Betsy pulled out a high chair, which signified a lot of babies in her future :) We had a wonderful time! As soon as the luncheon was over, Aunt Sherry, Liz, Betsy, Patches, Mom, and I went back over to the furnace (a.k.a. Whitney's apartment) and finished making all the cookies, wrapping the groomsmen's gifts, and putting the ribbons on the bubbles. When we were finished, we rushed over to the hotel, changed clothes, and drove over to the chapel for the rehearsal. It was quick and painless. After the rehearsal, we walked down the street to MugShots, where we had dinner. It was delicious, and it was really nice to relax and talk to everybody.

Saturday was sort of a whirlwind of excitement. I went and picked Whitney up from her apartment at 6:00 AM. We ran a couple of errands and got back to the hotel by 7:00 to get our hair done. Whitney's friend James is an awesome stylist and is an instuctor for the Aveda Institute in Birmingham. He was so nice to come to the hotel bright and early to do all of our hair and even went up the church to make sure our hair was perfect for pictures. I thought he did an awesome job! After Betsy and I got our hair done, we grabbed our shoes and dresses and headed toward the church. Aunt Sherry, Liz, and Mom had been up there for a while decorating the chapel and the banquet hall. Betsy ironed table cloths and runners, while I worked on the cookie table and pictures. Everyone got to the chapel at 11:00 for pictures, which were done by Marie Mann Hughes and her husband Steve. What a team they make. Marie is one of my oldest and dearest college friends, so it was great to see her. She took what I think will be some awesome pictures before we headed into the parlor to wait for guests to arrive.

By 3:00 the chapel was pretty packed and it was time to start. As I stood up at the front and watched my beautiful baby sister enter, I thought about how blessed our family has been over the years. God has blessed Whitney with such a wonderful, Godly husband who I know will always make her happy. She looked gorgeous and the ceremony was beautiful. Afterward, we headed to the reception, which was in the baquet hall downstairs. When I entered the room, the first people I saw were Aunt Sherry and Liz. I will never be able to thank them enough for all of their help. They honestly were the rocks that held everyone together and got everything accomplished. The reception went off without a hitch. It was a great time to just relax and enjoy some fellowship with our friends and wonderful family. Selfishly, it was nice just to sit next to my husband and hold his hand under the table. It felt like a lifetime since we had seen one another.


All in all, the ceremony was beautiful, the reception and awesome (cakes and cookie table were all a hit), Whitney was a dream bride, and I couldn't have asked for a more fun time with my family. Let's do it again...say, next month?!?

1 comment:

  1. Ashley...thanks for coming by my blog, and for your encouragement! I don't know what's ahead for me. For now, I'm just writing what's in my head. I'm following you now...looks like a beautiful wedding!

    ReplyDelete