Tuesday, June 22, 2010

In Honor of my Daddy

"Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it."
Proverbs 22:6

Last week was a big day for my dad, but you would never have known it because it was such a big week in Whitney's life. On Monday, Dad turned 47 years old, which I like to think is still really young. I got in the car early Monday morning and drove all day from North Carolina, so I was able to make it to dinner at his favorite, The Olive Garden. We had a really great time! Our whole family loves to laugh, so any time that we are together I can pretty much count on stories and jokes being told that will make you laugh so hard your face hurts. In addition to Monday being a big day for Dad, Sunday was Father's Day. I wasn't able to see Daddy on Father's Day because after Whit's wedding we went back to Opelika and stayed a night with Steven's parents. Although I had a great time visiting with them, I couldn't help but think about my father, and how blessed I am to be raised by such a wonderful man of God. To honor him, I will share some memories and thoughts about my Dad :)

When I was little (and if I'm being honest, even now), I loved Disney movies. My sisters and I would sit in our little house and watch Aladin, The Jungle Book, Peter Pan, Robin Hood, Cinderella, and Beauty and the Beast over and over again. One of my earliest and fondest memories is that Dad would sit in the floor with us on a pallet and not only watch the movies with us, but sing along. He would make us laugh because he could make his voice sound just like Big John off of Robin Hood and the Genie off of Aladin. He was endless entertainment for three little girls that adored him!

From the minute I was old enough, Dad had us out on the softball field, and there was no place I would have rather been. I loved to play ball, and although I was never the best player on the team, my dad always told me I was great. He was a pastor and worked full-time, but he always made time to come to all of my games, work in the concession stand when needed, and practice with me in the yard. As I got older, the twins and I started playing travel ball, which meant that our parents would have absolutely no free time on their Saturdays off for themselves, but I honestly don't ever remember them complaining. What I do remember is Dad loading us up in the mini-van, filling up the big cooler with ice and check colas, and meeting the team in Winn Dixie parking lot for a FULL day of games in the middle of July. Looking back, it makes my heart smile to think of Dad's sacrifices (you too, Mom, but this one's for Dad :)

As a teen, I was hard to handle. I had an attitude, which I like to believe was genetically passed down, so it really wasn't my fault. Since I am a lot like my daddy, we butted heads a little, but I knew that he would have done anything in the world for me. We didn't have a whole lot of money back then, but when I turned 16, I was so happy to receive a new (to me) car AND a cellphone (how cool was I). I know that he had to have made some personal financial sacrifices in order to get me the things that I wanted. When it was time for me to graduate and choose a college, I had my heart set on Auburn. I had visited the campus during my senior year, and had absolutely fallen in love. It wasn't easy asking a life-long Tide fan if he would allow me to go to Auburn. After thinking about it, he and mom moved me down there and bought me new stuff for my trailor (hehe). I was at AU for 5 years, and Mom and Dad supported me, both finacially and emotionally, through multiple changes in my major, heartbreaks, and new found interests. I couldn't have asked for a more loving father.

Although I am so grateful for all of the aforementioned things that my Dad has done for me, the thing I am most thankful for is being raised in such a solid Christian home. I remember so vividly listening to my parents sing old gospel hymns in the car with us, and I don't ever remember a time when going to church was an option. The McCullochs went to church everytime the doors were opened. I remember being a little girl, sitting in Children's Church at Smyrna Baptist, and listening to my dad read missionary stories, sing songs, and read sections of the Bible. One Saturday night, I remember lying in my bed and knowing that I needed to ask Jesus into my heart. The next morning before church, I asked Dad to come in my room. He knelt down beside my bed with me and I prayed to accept Christ. I remember him tearing up and taking me to chuch when we were finished. He was so happy and wanted to tell everyone. He had his priorities straight. More than anything else, my dad wanted all of his children to know the Lord.

I have learned so much about what it means to be a Christian from my dad. He loves the Lord, and although he makes mistakes like we all do, he daily seeks to be a better Christian. He is one of the most giving people I know. We joke because Dad cannot save a gift until Christmas. As soon as he gets it, he wants to give it to you. I see that in his spirit as well. The Lord has given him such a gift of communication, and he loves to tell others about the One who has changed his heart. Over the past four years, Dad has graduated from nursing school and begun a career in the medical field as a home health nurse. I know that God has so much in store for him as he continues in this field. Dad knows that people need the Lord--He will fix their heart! I hope that I will be able to inspire my children to know and love the Lord and people the way my dad has inspired me. I love you, Daddy!

Happy Fathers Day (a few days late)

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, I cry every time I read this. I'm thankful that you're proud of your childhood. Sometimes when children grow up in a home with several siblings, very little money, both parents working, & with rigid guidelines concerning church, faith, academics, (not to mention being a preacher's kid), resentment and hostility can occur. I agree with everything you said about your dad, even though we've not always agreed on every decision concerning our family or child-rearing, I think your Dad's a great one! I am a little Bias since he is my high school sweetheart and my very best friend! I love you so much Ashley and very proud of what a beautiful person you are! Steven is a lucky man! & you are a lucky woman!

    ReplyDelete