Thursday, January 15, 2015

The New Normal (Hudson milestones--month 1)

 On my first day back at church after Hudson's arrival, an older and much wiser lady asked me how I was doing.  Of course, I said what all southern women say when they are trying to pretend we have it all together, "Oh, I'm fine.  Everything's great!" She looked at me in the eyes and said, "Sweetie, you don't have to pretend like you have it all together.  I have four kids, and I still remember those first few months after each one was born.  Until they are about 4 months, having an infant is like combat.  You just have to wake up, put your boots on and go to war."  And the truth is, that was one of the most honest statements about raising a newborn that I have ever heard.  Don't get me wrong, the good FAR outweighs the bad, but there were days (and especially nights!) that I felt a little overwhelmed, exhausted, and in over my head.
 
With that said, Hudson has been such a HUGE blessing to our family! For the first six weeks, I was able to stay home with him and get some valuable one-on-one time.  During the first month, Hudson’s days consisted mostly of sleeping and eating. 

For the first few weeks, he would wake up every 2-3 hours to eat, but was usually good about going straight back down.  To be honest, the first month was sort of a blur (prolonged sleep deprivation will do that to you).  What I do remember was that I used every available opportunity to cuddle up with this precious and wonderful gift.


 
The first month was also a big change for Sawyer.  He was used to having all the attention in our home, but now he was all of sudden having to share the spotlight with “that baby” as he called him.  He would say, “Momma, will you put ‘that baby’ down and come play with me?”  Although it took him a minute to realize that “that baby” was not going anywhere, he eventually started to bond and help me take care of him.  I LOVE watching them interact!
We went back to church at Thomasville Baptist on the Sunday before Hudson's one month birthday.  He stayed out in "big church" with me and was a champ!  I was so relieved!

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment