Thursday, July 7, 2011

"Put Up" Corn

A few weeks ago, Emily's family asked me if I wanted to help them put up their corn crop.  I had never ever been a part of this process even though grew up in the middle of the country. When I got to Mrs. Lucille's house that morning (she said she would let us "sleep in" until 7:30), the corn had already been picked and were stacked in a few different wheel barrows. 


Lauren and Emily took turns helping their grandpaw cut the ends off the corn and remove the outsides, while I sat and silked the corn with Mrs. Lucille. 




After we finished with all the silking (which took FOREVER), we started the blanching process. Mr. Dan and Lauren did the boiling and then moved the corn over to the ice water.  Later, we all took turns reaching our hands in the freezing water to retrieve the corn and give to Jeff to take off the cob. 






Mrs. Lucille, Emily, and I took turns bagging up the corn to put in the freezer.  All in all, we pt up about 600 ears of corn.  It was a lot of work, but I had so much sitting with Mrs. Lucille and hearing all of her stories about old times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment