Friday, May 28, 2010

The Big Move

Hello All,
Last week, my life changed dramatically. I said goodbye to all of my family, friends, and co-workers in Opelika, AL, and said hello to my new life with my husband in New Bern, NC. Last year when Steven started the application process, I knew the probability of us staying in Opelika/Auburn area was slim to none; however, I held out hope that we would at least be close to our home state. As time progressed, Steven and I began to see God opening doors (and closing others) to a cute historical town called New Bern. Steven was hired on at Weyerhaeuser (Timberlands), and I was blessed with an oppertunity to teach 11th grade at West Craven High School next year. Being a teacher, I am an avid researcher. I can occupy so much of my time (if allowed) to finding out information on a subject, in this case, our new town. After a lot of research, we decided to visit New Bern in February and we both really enjoyed it. We stayed in the most precious B&B called the Aerie, which was located downtown. Steven went on a tour of Weyerhaeuser, while I toured the shops, boutiques, and markets. Later, Steven and I went to meet the people that would be housing us for our first few months in New Bern. They were so wonderful to us, and we immediately felt a peace about the situation. For the first time, I felt like this new place, so far from my original home, could be where Steven and I would call home for years to come.
So here we are...Steven is working 8:00 to 5:00, while I am off for the summer season. We have the greatest landlords, named Bryan and Bridget. They have truly been helpful in our transition. Steven came up a week earlier than me to start his job, so Mrs. Theo drove the 12 hour trek up here with me. It meant so much to me that she was willing to keep me company on such a long trip. Steven and I are definitely having to get used to the country life. Although we intend to eventually buy a house in town, we are currently residing in a little bity town outside of New Bern called Cove City. Although I grew up in an area much like this, I have grown accustomed to living in town (close to conveniences that you take for granted in the country). My poor husband, on the other hand, has never experienced life at this slow of a pace, so it's definitely going to take some getting used to for him...
We want to thank all of those who helped us pack, label, and store all of our stuff because we couldn't have done it without you. We miss all of our friends and family so much it hurts. Can't wait to be reunited with you all again very soon!

All our love,
The Meadows

2 comments:

  1. We already miss you both! NC is not that far away, so it definitely sounds like a road trip up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! I want you to all come up for a visit. Once we get these weddings out of the way, we'll make a plan!

    ReplyDelete